Friday, June 25, 2010

so ur gettin 'hitched'?


Some people get married young
Some people get married old
Some people get married in hot weather
Some people get married in the cold

Sometimes a man marries a woman
Or a man will marry a man
Sometimes three people will try to get married
Although that type of stuff is usually banned

People get married because they love each other
People get married because they want babies
People get married just for something to do
Some people who get married even have rabies

Jews marry Christians
And monotheists marry polytheists
Agnostics marry Muslims
And Buddhists marry atheists

Some women dream their whole life of getting married
Walking down the aisle with their dad
Some women will never marry
Because they think the institution’s simply ‘bad’

Some brides wear big white dresses
Some brides dress like hos
Some grooms wear tailored suits
Some just dress like bros

Weddings can be big or small
In a church or on the sand
Hundreds of families, friends, and loved ones
Will fly across the land

Some will settle for a courthouse
With two or three friends near
Or some elope in Vegas
After drinking too much beer

Some people are married forever
Some people get divorced
Some marriages flow smoothly
Some marriages feel forced

Married people will have great sex
And married people will have it awful
Married people will have traditional sex
And married people will have sex that verges on unlawful

Married people are tall and small
Married people are rich and poor
Married people are white and black
Some married people you invite into your home;
Some married people you’ll kick out the back door

Some married people never speak
Some married people are each others’ best friends
Some married people resent each other
Some married people stay in love until their life ends

Whoever you marry
And for however long
And whatever happens throughout the years
I hope the love is strong

You’re both in pretty deep now
Until death should do you part
You’ve got two very different lives
But they’re beating with one heart

So happy to be able to call you my pals
I <3 u so goddamn much
Though I can’t be there in person
I’m sending you good vibes n’such

Marriage is a wonderful thing
And marriage is so scary
It’s pretty horrifying, really
But I don’t think you should be wary

You’ve come this far, at least
And that’s got to count for something
So hold your breath
Grasp your hands
Take the plunge untethered

And as you fall
At least you know
You’re doing this
Together

<3 u E + P
<3 S
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
have you ever gotten ‘hitched’?
do u <3/h8 your spouse?
where did you/will u get married?
have u still not ‘consummated’ your marriage?
will you have babies, adopt, or artificially inseminate?
is monogamy ‘effing overrated’?
should I get married?
is 'the princess bride' 'sooooo funnie'?

2 comments:

  1. I love you Sam! This is an amazing present! You're talented, witty, and hilarious and I wish I was in Alaska to tell you this in person!

    P.S. This will be incorporated to next year's poetry unit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never gotten hitched. I have no spouse to h8 or love. I want to get married in Las Vegas! I'll probably just have babies the old fashioned way. Haha at this point I'd say monogamy might be "under-rated", but I wouldn't know. I think you'll get married one day. It's been awhile since I've seen the Princess Bride, but I'm sure it's still funny.

    ReplyDelete